[Popcon-developers] supporting PackageMap in Debian?

Hi Sebastian,

I recently noticed your posts on Planet Gentoo about PackageMap and
smolt software popularity support.

How would distributions add support for PackageMap to their packages?
I'm thinking in Debian/Ubuntu/etc we would just add a PackageMap field
(initially as XSB-PackageMap until it enters policy) to the
debian/control file, which would be sent out to apt via the Packages and
Sources files. apt-cache, aptitude and PackageKit could then gain the
ability to deal with PackageMap package names as well as distro-specific
package names.

PS: Is the smolt software popularity support based on PackageKit at all?

PPS: standards.freedesktop.org might be a better place to put the DTDs.

PPPS: thank you very very much for creating PackageMap and smolt popcon.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise