[Popcon-developers] Please review new description and question text

[Bill Allombert]
>>  * Check files in ^/boot/ as well, to detect if a kernel package was
>>    used. (Closes: #229237)
>
> This does not fix #229237: lilo and grub do not update the atime of
> the kernel you boot, so this is useless. I strongly suggest we
> revert it.

Ah, right.  Good catch.  My testing was flawed.  I noticed that the
kernel package did get some usage time, and did not check if it
matched the boot time.  But who said the vote for kernel packages
should match the boot time?  As far as I know, the point of skipping
some files in the packages is to avoid files which are accessed by
cron jobs, and none of the files in /boot/ are accessed by any cron
jobs I know about, so why should we not look at the files in /boot/?

> On the other hand, it seems that kernel modules atime are updated so
> maybe this is a solution, though depmod will reset them, which would
> render the atime useless. This needs to be investigated, though.

Hm, interesting point.  Not sure if there are any other useful ways to
get votes from kernel packages.

> As long as we keep SMTP as a back up, I have no objection, but I
> would like to see more data before claiming that HTTP submissions is
> generally reliable.

What kind of data do you want to see?  The majority of popcon
submitters are using HTTP at the moment.

>   * Change package description and question text to make it less
>     debian specific and avoid indication that only Debian packages are
>     reported (also non-Debian packages are reported).  Based on patch
>     from Ubuntu and input from Christian Perrier.
>
> I disagree. popcon report Debian packages and only Debian packages,
> popcon does not report other types of software packages.  The fact
> that it reportl Debian packages made by ther distributors does not
> change that.

Do you mean '.deb' packages when you write 'Debian packages'?  I read
'Debian packages' as packages from the Debian archive, and wanted to
make it clear that also non-debian packages (aka the packages listed
in the unknown section on <URL:http://popcon.debian.org/>) are
reported.

> Also popularity-contest, as shipped report to the Debian developers
> only, not to the distribution developers if you are using another
> distribution. Claiming otherwise is not accurate.

Well, it isn't incorrect either, and it do make the description
accurate for example for Debian Edu, with the
<URL:http://popcon.skolelinux.org/popcon/> collector.  I see the
advantage of reducing the amount of patching required to make the
description accurate for derived distributions of Debian, and thus
decided to accept this change.

>   * Update standards-version from 3.6.2 to 3.7.2.  No changes needed.
>   * Add Build-Depends with the same dependencies as
>     Build-Depends-Indep, to keep lintian happy.
>
> Since this is clearly a bug in lintian, I don't see the point of that.

Well, it reduces the noise, and do no harm as far as I can see, so I
changed it to get rid of the message.

Should we try to get a new popcon release out this weekend, or is
there some changes urgently needed to be implemented first?  I want to
give the most active translators a day or two, but expect lots of
translation to show up in the next week, and believe we should
schedule a new release with updated translations just before base
freezes.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen