[Popcon-developers] Re: Reverting some popcon changes

[Bill Allombert]
> Hello Petter,
>
> I plan to revert several changes you made:

Would it not be better to fix the problems instead of just removeing
the code?

>   * Implemented sending of compressed MIME emails when recommended
>     package mime-construct is installed.  Disabled until the server
>     side is implemented. (Debian bug #149425)
>
>  Unless you intend to implement the server side soon, this is just
>  cruft that make the script more complex than what is required.

Why do I need to do it soon?  I plan to implement the server side
unless someone else beat me to it, but will probably not have time for
it in the near future.

>   * Rewrote popularity-contest to use dpkg-awk if dpkg-query is
>      missing.  This make it compatible with dpkg versions before 1.10,
>      getting it to work on woody, sarge, etch and sid.  Drop
>      versioned dependency on dpkg because of this.
>
>  Since sarge is released we do not need the versioned dependency on
>  dpkg anyway and backporting to woody is a bad idea since that cause
>  woody installation to pretend beiing sarge. This is just useless cruft
>  inside the popularity-contest script.

I still use the new popularity-contest on woody, and want the package
to work both in woody, sarge and etch.  Because of this, I fail to see
how it is useless cruft.  What do you mean by "woody installation to
pretend beiing sarge".?

>   * The ubuntu versions are included in the source package as
>     popcon-submit-ubuntu.cgi and popcon-upload-ubuntu.
>
>  Given the Ubuntu version has a security hole we should not include it.

Do you have an URL to the bug report for this issue?  Is it fixed in
the ubuntu package?

>   * Add support in popcon-submit.cgi to save directly to disk instead
>       of sending emails.
>
>  This is cause the same security problem.

I use the direct save feature in the debian-edu popularity-contest
collector, and thus want to keep that script in the package.  What is
the BTS number for this issue?  I was unable to find any.

Btw, yes, I will probably have time to upload a new package today.
I'll have a look at the CVS.

Cc to the popcon mailing list, to get the archive updated with the
current plans.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen