[Popcon-developers] question about "not in sid"-maintainer

Am Dienstag, 1. November 2005 19:20 schrieb Bastian Venthur:
> Am Dienstag, 1. November 2005 18:54 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> > [Bastian Venthur, 2005-08-25]
> >
> > > Hi popcon-devs,
> > >
> > > I have quick question about the way popcon decides that a package is
> > > not in sid.
> >
> > It looks at the package list in the mirror on the machine it is
> > running.
> >
> > > I am currently not yet a DD but I already maintain a view packages
> > > which are officially in sid. When I -- courious as I am -- take my
> > > daily look at popcon.debian.org, i can see something like

> > > 15715 crystalcursors           15     0     0     0    15 (Not in sid)
> > >
> > > Crystalcursors is one of my packages and it *is* in sid, with me as
> > > maintainer. So I wonder, why my name does not appear? Is it, because
> > > I am not a real DD or it is a bug?
> >
> > I had a closer look, and I believe this is because of a bug.  The
> > uncompressed package lists are no longer in the mirror for sid, so the
> > 'dists/unstable/*/binary-i386/Packages' glob do not match any files.
> > We need to teach the popanal.py script how to read the compressed
> > files instead.  And we should do it in a way that works with python
> > 2.1.  Python 2.3 seem to have support for reading gzip files directly,
> > but I'm unable to get it to work with 2.1.
>
> Meanwhile my packages appear correctly in Popcon. But I have some new ones
> in the archive since ~10 days, namely: kde-style-lipstik,
> kde-icons-crystalclear and kde-kde-themes. Allthough their popcon data is
> updated (Number of users is rising) this three packages still show: "Not in
> sid".

I've observered an interesting detail: two of the three packages are now in
testing and exactly one popcon run later my name appears after these
packages. kde-icons-crystalclear enters testing right now, so I guess
tomorrow I'll see my name after this package too.

HTH and kind regards

Bastian

PS: A simple workaround for the problem would be: "s/Not in sid/Not in
testing/" ^^

Please CC me since I am not on the list.