Re: Goals of debian/copyright

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:56:57PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> I think we're getting bogged down in the debian/copyright discussion,
> and I'm starting to think that some enumeration of what we need
> debian/copyright for would help us figure out what it should actually
> contain.
>
> I've listed the things that I remember from the relevant threads (and
> my personal recollection):
>
> 1) DFSG Free licensing of all parts distributed by Debian in main
>
> 2) License compatibility (both intra-work and inter-work)
>
> 3) Satisfy licence requirements in binary .debs

I'd like to remember that binary .deb files are not required by policy
to include a copyright file at all, due to 12.3:

     `/usr/share/doc/<package>' may be a symbolic link to another directory
     in `/usr/share/doc' only if the two packages both come from the same
     source and the first package Depends on the second.[2]

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.