Re: initscripts: using "/etc/init.d/<package>"

> It makes me think, though, that we don't really have a place to
> centrally document what interfaces we consider essential and what ones
> we don't.  Effectively, anything provided by a package that's a
> pre-dependency of an essential package can be treated as essential by
> this same logic, with sometimes unintended consequences if a maintainer
> later wants to drop an interface.  So perhaps we should be explicitly
> blessing invoke-rc.d as virtually-essential, with the consent of the
> sysvinit maintainers, before changing the example?

I'd certainly be fine with that.  I don't know if Policy should have a
list of essential interfaces centralized in one place (and necessarily
marked as partial until we can figure out what should be in it), or if
just saying something in this section would be enough.

> (For that matter, /usr/bin/awk is another "virtually-essential"
> interface in this category, and we've held forever that you don't have
> to depend on awk because base-files does this for us; but that's also
> not documented in policy, that I can see.)

Nope, no mention of awk anywhere in Policy currently.