Re: URI Enclosure in Angled Glyphs

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 11:44:28PM -0500, Alexander Winston wrote:
> 	After speaking with Robert Jordens and several of my colleagues
> about it, I feel more comfortable encouraging the behavior that is
> referenced in RFC 2396, Appendix E. The suggestion is the enclosure of
> URIs---URLs included, of course---in the "angle brackets" < and >. The
> Unicode Consortium, or perhaps more specifically, The Unicode
> Standard, refers to these glyphs as LESS-THAN SIGN (U+003C) and
> GREATER-THAN SIGN (U+003E), respectively.
> 	This is a practice that makes good sense to me, but I am curious
> as to whether anyone else has any views on making this the suggested
> Debian method for referring to URIs.

(For context, see bug #225585.)

It definitely makes sense to me to recommend this for use in package
descriptions, at least when the URI would be ambiguous due to being
immediately followed by punctuation or similar.

I'd prefer to avoid the "URL:" prefix that RFC 2396 mentions but notes
"is not common in practice"; some people configure their terminal
emulator to consider ":" as part of a word so that they can simply
double-click to select a whole URI (at least if it's in a vaguely normal
format), and the "URL:" prefix breaks that.

Cheers,