Re: Original sources, or not

Hi, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:01:46 +0200
> Matthias Urlichs <smurf@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> many packages seem to contain .orig.tar.gz files which may or may not
>> be directly related to the files actually available from upstream.
>> That is unfortunate.
>
> How about changing the tarball name if the source has been modified by
> debian.

dpkg-buildpackage requires .orig.tar.gz for Upstream and _VERS.diff.gz for
the version. Probably others do too.

> Perhaps tarballs that arent the original source should remove the .orig
> and just use .tar.gz, or use some other extension such as debian.tar.gz

Perhaps that restriction should be fixed first, along with the "only one
upstream tarball" problem, or the ".gz instead of .bz2" bandwidth wastage
and ... well, you get the point, before any creative naming of tarballs
becomes possible.

When we have that, I do agree with you that .orig.tar.* should be reserved
for unmodified upstream, That doesn't preclude documenting how the ****
you managed to create your .debian.tar.bz2 from Upstream's sources,
however.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de
 - -