Re: Original sources, or not

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:01:46 +0200
Matthias Urlichs <smurf@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> many packages seem to contain .orig.tar.gz files which may or may not
> be directly related to the files actually available from upstream.
> That is unfortunate.
>
> I think that it would make sense to add a requirement to Policy that
> the .orig.tar.gz file should be an unmodified copy from upstream.
>
> If that is not possible or doesn't make sense for some reason, the way
> to go from there to here should be documented either textually or,
> preferably, achieved by running debian/package_upstream (or whatever).

How about changing the tarball name if the source has been modified by
debian.

The name .orig.tar.gz does tend to indicate its the original source
rather than the debian modified source.

Perhaps tarballs that arent the original source should remove the .orig
and just use .tar.gz, or use some other extension such as
debian.tar.gz

Glenn