shouldn't most ip-up jobs be backgrounded?

A> I just don't agree. IMHO most of the jobs (including exim4) are not
A> executed in background for a reason: Once /etc/ppp/ip-up/ has
A> finished you can be confident that all the important stuff (fetching
A> mail, sending mail, polling news) has been done and that the line can
A> be safely disconnected.

The ppp authors have other ideas.  See
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=xoav4qyrakgt.fsf%40sun.com
comp.protocols.ppp
Re: shouldn't most ip-up jobs be backgrounded?

ppp-bugs@db.samba.org: maybe you guys could put some recommendations
about this in the docs.

debian-policy@lists.debian.org: maybe even a debian policy is needed
about backgrounding in /etc/ppp/ip-*.d/, shall one package dictate
other jobs are to wait for it... to what extent, etc.