Re: [devel-ref] author/homepage in description

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:49:38PM +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:03:54AM -0600, Adam DiCarlo wrote:

> > As for the extra work, it doesn't matter.

> It's not nice to screw around with other people's time like that.

But no one is *required* to do anything.  (Yet, if ever.)  This is a
"best-practices" suggestion that only applies to packages which *have*
a meaningful "homepage".  So, we have a suggestion for what we should
do now and what we should do if/when dpgk changes, and anyone who
doesn't want to waste their time can wait until dpkg changes.

If this were going in policy ("you [should/must] have a homepage link
in your control file at point X if a site exists that can reasonably
be described as a home page for the package"), then I would definitely
object.  (Would create bugs for existing packages, for one thing.)
But this isn't for policy, this is for dev-ref.

If I have any remaining reservations about this proposal, it's that
"homepage" is not (yet) an English word, IMO.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single