Re: Debian-Perl-Policy and .packlist?

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:56:02AM +0100, Michael Lamertz wrote:
> I'm not questioning that the package breaks Debian policy.  What I *AM*
> questioning is Debian's decision to define such a rule in the first
> place.  That policy has been made in ignorance of - or without knowing -
> why the .packlist file is there.  That decision is IMO wrong.  So I'm
> asking if the policy can be fixed.

No, you don't know that it has been made in ignorance of or without knowing
why the .packlist files are there -- there's no rationale, but that doesn't
have to mean that there isn't one.

AFAICT, the Perl Policy document has Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
and Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> listed as contact addresses, so why not
ask them?