Re: Rewriting policy soonish if poss.

At (time_t)1027611024 Sebastian Rittau wrote:

> I would rather recommend using the existing Note tag with a
> Role="rationale" attribute.

This is a good idea.  Extending DocBook with new tags is trivial,
but is best done only when DocBook clearly fails to provide a
needed construct.

The stylesheets are generally quite flexible, and can be extended
to handle the role.

It may be tempting, if the rationales are intended to be
footnotes, to add a role attribute to the footnote tag instead,
but that would be a needless confusion of content with
presentation.  Let the stylesheet dictate how rationales are
presented.

> > Love to hear people's thoughts on the matter.
>
> I think converting the policy to DocBook is the right way to go.

Seconded.  We at Progeny use DocBook/XML extensively, and it has
served us very well.  One advantage of DocBook over DebianDoc
that we haven't leveraged yet is indexing, which is something
I've sorely missed when looking for information in Policy and the
DDR.

--
John R. Daily