Re: /usr/doc

On Jul 21, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Heath wrote:
> > That was years ago.  And, now that we are at this point, we should do
> > it right, and not following the recommendation given by some group of
> > people long ago that didn't forsee this problem.
>
> That is false. We forsaw this problem 3 years ago, discussed this very
> issue, came up with a transition plan, and have followed it.
>
> If noone who is faimilar with the history and aims of this transition
> has any objects, the I will upload the new debhelper tomorrow, I guess.
> (I can hold off if some newcomers to this issue want to go back and read
> over the several thousand old messages about this transition to
> familiarize themselves with the TC decision.)

IMO we could offer it (/usr/doc as a symlink) as a base-config
question at the lowest priority, with a default of no link.  That at
least takes care of people installing Debian for the first time.  As
for upgraders, well, that's what release notes are for.

On most of my boxes

rm `find /usr/doc -type l` && ln -s share/doc /usr

worked just fine; the only exception is a box that still has Corel
WordPerfect 2000 on it.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765