Re: calling MAKEDEV from postinst

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Paul Slootman wrote:

> On Wed 25 Jul 2001, Adam Heath wrote:
> >
> > What happens if the admin has set certain permissions on the device files, and
> > you go and recreate them, thereby removing those permissions?
> >
> > So you say, that's easy to fix, I just won't recreate the devices if they
> > already exist.  Well, what happens if I remove only some of the device files
> > in a set?  Will the missing ones get recreated?
>
> This sounds like a job for an extra flag on MAKEDEV, to only create
> devices that don't exist.

But that's not what I said.

If I delete a few of the devices in a set, and your postinst just wants to
create the entire set, then your extra flag will not help.

Here's what I think should happen:

* The package asks to create the device files.
* Package calls MAKEDEV.
* MAKEDEV sees it's a devfs system, and either does nothing, or registers
  perms appropriately with devfsd.