Re: calling MAKEDEV from postinst

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Paul Slootman wrote:

> I got a bug report, marked "serious", on isdnutils today.
>
> It concerns the fact that MAKEDEV is called from the postinst to create
> the required ISDN devices, without first asking the user for permission.
>
> Apparently this is policy, although no one seems to know why it exists
> (a search of policy archives leads to
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy-0007/msg00138.html which addresses
> this, but that never got answered).

No, you should ask.

What happens if the admin has set certain permissions on the device files, and
you go and recreate them, thereby removing those permissions?

So you say, that's easy to fix, I just won't recreate the devices if they
already exist.  Well, what happens if I remove only some of the device files
in a set?  Will the missing ones get recreated?

So, in short, ask before creating device files.