Bug#99324: Default charset should be UTF-8
On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 01:11:58PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:11:20PM -0300, Cesar Eduardo Barros wrote:
> > Package: debian-policy
> > Version: 126.96.36.199
> > Severity: wishlist
> > I think Debian should start to move into using UTF-8 by default everywhere.
> What, exactly, does this involve?
- Making sure everything works with UTF-8 charset
- Adding UTF-8 charset for every locale
- Converting (in debian/rules) documentation files to UTF-8
- Selecting en_US.UTF-8 (or something like that) as the default for LANG=
- Echoing some magic sequence on every getty to convert the kernel mode to UTF8
> (Now's probably a bad time, too)
I know. I just wanted to present the idea while it was fresh. I too think it
would only become possible after the next release. In fact, it's good timing
since there's plenty of time for discussion.
Making sure everything works with UTF-8 can be started already. Adding the UTF8
charset for every locale might be as simple as editing a config file (I don't
know libc6 very well, but I hope it would recode the message catalogs if that
Cesar Eduardo Barros