Re: Tasks policy

On Mon, May 07, 2001 at 08:23:52PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Would it not be much easier for the task packages _themselves_ to
> > contain Task: fields, instead of the individual packages, which would
> > function like weak Recommends: fields:
>
> Not really. The code's already written to do things the other way around,
> and the main point of "Task:" fields being in the package is so that
> packages can be removed from the archive without breaking any tasks they
> might be a part of.

Oh, yeah, the idea was that if a package doesn't exist, nothing
complains.

> > In this way, the dependency information remains in the
> > domain of the task-* package maintainers, but has the desired
> > function.
>
> It'd be possible to do this, too (either informally by saying "only
> task package maintainers should mess with this part of CVS" or by making
> dak/dinstall look at the actual contents of the latest task- packages).
> I suspect using CVS'll be easier and at least as good though.

Fair enough; you have the code.

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/