Re: Proposed solution to config.{sub,guess} issues

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > The package diverts the outdated files /usr/share/automake/config.
>
> I doubt that is a good idea, it would be much nicer to coordinate this
> with the libtool and automake package maintainers and get them
> to depend on the new package.

I am certainly not adverse to the idea. I'll try to contact them by email,
however I have already tried that (through the package@packages.debian.org
alias) and had no success whatsoever.

The diversions could be easily removed later, anyway.

> > An debhelper helper script, dh_autotools is also provided. If a call to
> > dh_autotools is added at the beginning of the "clean" target of
> > debian/rules, it updates existing config.guess/sub files in the source
> > package to the newest ones provided by autotools-dev.
>
> Somehow I'm not sure if that is a very good idea. Then again, I never
> use debhelper so I won't notice anyway :)

Heh. My packages also don't need it, as I have autogen.sh scripts that
refresh all the autotools/gettext/libtool stuff on cvs export, among other
things.

Still, unless someone can give me a good reason why a package should not
always use an up-to-date config.sub and config.guess (one doesn't even need
to rerun autoconf to use them), I'd be inclined to keep dh_autotools.

  Henrique Holschuh