Re: RFC: allow output from maintainer scripts

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > The standard version would simply have to use a technique like I
> > described, you wouldn't want to be replacing programs basked on what front
> > end is being used, that is messy.
>
> Oh, you mean make dpkg-log write to a fifo or something?

Yes, a unix domain socket, or pre-opened file FD, some mechanism passed in
through an environment variable. We can set a reasonable format so we can
tag messages w/ priority. The absense of such a variable would just echo
to stdout.

Randolph was working on a similar scheme for debconf at one point,
IIRC he was going to use a unix socket (which is good for debconf)

Jason