Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:

> daemon is running yet, but we should introduce one and fixate this in
> the policy).

I'm on it. The code is ready and tested (for rc?.d, but I'll code the
file-rc version if the thing is accepted -- and it WAS designed to work with
whatever rc scheme you come up with, as long as it registers a init.d
interface). Real life is interfering a bit right now, but I'll send a policy
proposal, along with the required code, to -devel/-policy soon. I've sent an
earlier version of this stuff (including code) to -devel sometime ago, so
it's not vapourware :-)

> IMHO libc should handle its various incompatibilies itself, because
> its a problem in libc, not in the daemon packages.

Or request the packages to provide a file in some /usr/lib directory with
the name of the init.d scripts to be sent a restart for that package (or, if
one abhors that idea too much, to call a libc6-provided script in postinst
and postrm). Asking a package to add a certain file isn't too much, and it
is less intrusive and less ugly than screwing up with user-visible
interfaces such as a init.d script IMHO.

  Henrique Holschuh