Re: Isn't cc the default compiler?

Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> Shouldn't a local setting of CC or CXX overwrite those settings?
> If package allways take those compilers, theres no simple way to
> use a newer gcc that isn't installed systemwide, or to use egcc or
> a comercial cc. Its a pain for everyone who will compile a Package
> himself with some non perfectly std. setup. Same counts for CFLAGS and
> CXXFLAGS. Those values should NEVER be just overwritten by some preset
> values. If the person compiling has set any of them, he will know why.

Actually, it's doable -- you stuff something at the head of your $PATH
that has appropriate names. The problem is that adding layer upon layer
of indirection, without ever respecting the purpose of the existing
layers, is a good way to make everyone's life difficult (I think X falls
into this trap, but now it's a standard so it needs to be respected too,
*sigh*).

--
Raul