Re: Conclusion of the absolute/relative links issu?

Hi,
>>"Adam" == Adam P Harris <apharris@onshore.com> writes:

Adam> [You (Manoj Srivastava)]
>> Did we ever reach a consensus about the relative vs absolute links
>> in packages? Was it decided that links between top level
>> directories should be absolute, whereas links within on should be
>> relative?

Adam> I agree that this is reasonable but I'd like to see the opinion
Adam> of someone who manages large NFS crosslinked type systems, since
Adam> mount-points is the main issue with the links.

	I used to manage a large university group until a couple of
 years ago, with three machine architectires, common /usr, automounts,
 cross mounted user directories, mounts from departmental servers, etc
 etc.

	I think you can never be sure of not breaking _any_ symlinks
 on _any_ system; there are too many different styles of operation out
 there.

	Throw in AFS and DFS, and who know what you have out there?

	I think, though, you shall catch the majority of installations
 if you were careful of the top level directories. Oh, I can see
 people breaking up /var and /usr (heck, I do that on my home
 machine); but unless you mount them at a different level below /, you
 should be fine.

	Where does one draw the line? I think just disallowing
 symbolic links *between* top level directories is enough.

	manoj
--
 "There is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
 Mark Twain