Re: Status of UTF-8 Debian changelogs

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:58:12PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> The problem is that we have no way to know what encoding an individual
> Debian Changelog entry is in.

The problem is that my point entirely flew over your head. The point was,
as usual, that Policy is not designed to be a stick to beat people with,
and that it does not have to precede implementation.

You can already complain at people who use e.g. Latin 1 in changelogs. Once
a released version of the Policy manual gets a shiny and bright new sentence
saying "Use Unicode" (just in a roundabout, somewhat patronizing kind of
way), the only thing that will change is that if someone complains at people
who use UTF-8 in changelogs, a new retort will be available, "THE POLICY
MADE ME DO IT!!1!", or similar.

Oh, and insert another standard rant here on how the fact something hasn't
been done does not automatically imply that those who haven't done it are
obstructionist sadistic bastards.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.