Re: R³ (was: Minutes of the DebConf19 BoF)

Hi Paul,

On 31/01/20 2:01 am, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:22 PM Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
>
>> Ideally, we shouldn't go for a mass commit because we don't know if
>> everything would be working fine with it, or do we?
>
> I think all Perl module packages are unlikely to produce different
> packages with R³: no, but Perl app packages might.

Yep, that's (partly) what I wanted to convey.

>> I've been doing it manually so far via cme. And it works fine, of course.
>> Yes, it's a little extra work but it ensures that everything works fine.
>
> How did you test the changes?
Please note that when I said "I've been doing it manually via cme ..", I
meant not just for Perl packages, but also for Ruby, Golang, et al.

And for testing, exactly how you described below.
Building a package without that line and then building with it and then
using diffoscope to compare the binaries.

(of course, there are some (mostly Ruby) packages that I didn't really
diffoscope'd since I was confident that it won't break stuff).

> I would recommend building twice, once without R³: no and then once
> with it, and use diffoscope to compare the resulting source/binary
> packages. If there are any differences to the binary packages then
> those differences need to be fixed before using R³: no.

Best,
Utkarsh