Giving DDs access to perl-team/modules (was: Alioth → Salsa)

Its's been two years that we are using salsa :)

At that time we discussed the following about giving DDs commit
access, aka share a namespace with the Debian group:

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:29:14 +0000, Dominic Hargreaves wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 06:08:47PM +0100, gregor herrmann wrote:
> > Sharing
> > =======
> >
> > I wanted to make the repos accessible for all DDs, like we did on
> > Alioth. It seems that the term for that is "sharing with group
> > 'Debian'". And it seems that it's not possible to share a (sub)group
> > but only individual projects, aka repositories.
> > Or did I miss something?
> >
> > This is of course painful to do for all future 3500 repos, and then
> > for new repos, etc. And the API doesn't make it better:
> > - sharing and unsharing is terribly slow (several seconds before the
> >   call returns), in the back of my head I saw busy tiny persons
> >   running through a PostgreSQL database and adding/removing all the
> >   IDs ...
> > - sharing/unsharing also has a delay, I had to wait for about a
> >   minute until project_users showed the correct output
> > - sharing/unsharing are not idempotent, i.e. sharing fails when the
> >   project is already shared, unsharing fails if the project is not
> >   shared. That's not insane per se, but there doesn't seem to be a
> >   method to list current shares. In dpt-salsa I now check if the user
> >   with id 1 (that's the salsa administrator) is a project user
> >   *cough*
> >
> > Unless I missed something, that's all a bit tedious. Maybe we should
> > just forget about this sharing business?

This feature has been addedd to Gitlab in version 12.7.:
https://about.gitlab.com/releases/2020/01/22/gitlab-12-7-released/#share-group-access-with-another-group

Salsa has been updated to 12.7.1 tonight, and indeed I see this
feature in the web interface to "invite" a group (with a pulldown of
existing groups).

Now I wanted to propose to add the Debian group to perl-team/modules
but then I also found Dom's reply to my original observations:

> Yeah, I don't think it's a bad thing to ask people to introduce themselves
> on the list first anyway, even if they are DDs.

Personally I'm in favour of giving DDs commit access, to allow
drive-by fixes and also for symbolic reasons; but I also share Dom's
point that people who want to become members / add packages/repos
should send a short mail to the list.

What do others think?

 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe
   `-   NP: Peter Ratzenbeck: Harry Lime Thema