Re: perl extension modules and Multi-Arch: foreign

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 01:32:59PM +0100, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:21:31AM +0200, Niko Tyni wrote:
> > [Forking from #946655 and dropping the bug]
>
> Hmm. I'm not sure I like this fork, because you're asking very relevant
> questions here.

Sorry about that. My reasoning was that the perl:any dependency for pure
Perl modules was the on-topic, uncontroversial and actionable part in
the debhelper bug report, while this XS module part was fully separate
and not material for even a wishlist bug yet.

I'm fine with moving this back onto the original bug if you want of
course. I don't have much to add on this for now anyway, will need to
think about it.

>  * libperl is embeddable today into foreign applications, because
>    libperl5.30 can be coinstalled for a foreign architecture. Changing
>    this conceptually is a regression and risks breaking what people
>    actually use. That said, I don't have any concrete evidence.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if anybody was actually using foreign embedded
Perl interpreters for anything. You've got the standard library available
but you can't use most Debian packaged modules (anything needing XS
modules).  I guess you could get by with installing things from CPAN if
you really wanted.

But I don't have any data either.
--
Niko