Re: autopkgtest-pkg-perl going forward

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 15:06:46 +0300, Niko Tyni wrote:

> I've documented the current state at
>  http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/autopkgtest.html

Yay \o/

Thanks alot for your work on this, the technical side and the
documentation, and also for starting this discussion.

> I'm proposing the attached patch to the pkg-perl policy, adding Testsuite
> to the list of debian/control fields that our packages should have and
> referring to the above document.

Looks good to me, thanks.

> Paraphrasing the document, this implies that
>
> 1. for all the known good pkg-perl packages, as seen at
>     http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/debian-ci-config.git/tree/perl.txt
>    we make a mass commit adding the Testsuite: autopkgtest-pkg-perl header

I agree that the mass commit makes sense.

In combination with manual testing before the next upload, since I've
seen newer upstream releases failing ... But that is your second
point anyway, which I agree with:

> 2. people uploading a package with a Testsuite header should try to
>    verify it works. This probably means setting up a chroot for adt-run
>    to do it properly; there are some pointers for this in autopkgtest.html.

> Overall, this should be considered as best effort at the moment.

Agreed.
And I've also uploaded a few packages recently without adding the
header, because adt-run failed and I didn't immediately see an
obvious fix.

> Don't worry too much if you can't test the Testsuite declaration, and
> don't hesitate to ask for help or clarifications.

Ack, at least for packages that already have the header set.  I'd
just like to add that IMO actively adding the header without testing
it might be detrimental to the project; but that's your second bullet
point above already :)

   `-   NP: Victor Wooten: Me & My Bass Guitar