Re: Possible ITP for Cache::Historical

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:02:08 +0100, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:

> > If you consider it useful I'd say: just go ahead.
> Right, I have made the ITP some hours ago. I have also in the
> meantime created in the repository 'trunk/libcache-historical-perl/'
> and I have imported a first 'debian/' into that directory.

I've seen the commits on IRC already :)

> However, I did not use 'svn-inject', simply out of inexperience,

Reading the docs in advance helps :)
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/ -> especially subversion.html

> My question is now this: May I for some time leave the property
> 'mergeWithUpstream' set to '1', until I get the hang of using
> your way?

As long as the distribution in debian/changelog is set to UNRELEASED
nobody will probably stumble about the package, so I don't see any
danger for doing some harm.

> so I cannot tell if the command
>     svn cp libcache-historical-perl_0.03.orig.tar.gz \
>         svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-perl/branches/upstream/libcache...
> would be the right next step to go, possibly after creating the very
> same directory.

No, the upstream branch doesn't contain the .tar.gz but the unpacked
tarball, and there are two directories needed (current/ and 0.03/).

There's some (old) documentation on our webspace:
http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/howto/missingupstream.html
and a (newer) script (ah, it's mentioned in this document already,
good): fix-missing-upstream.
(Note that this needs adding the source to
trunk/libcache-historical-perl/ first.)

> I find it easier for now to only see the package
> relevant files, instead of 'poluting' them with the upstream source.
> My present steps I learned from the Debian Games Team. Competition
> is tough!

I can't imagine to work without seeing the upstream source, but
approaches and tastes are obviously different :)

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Weather Report: Birdland