Re: Perl (and other) packaging talk on FOSDEM

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Stepan Kasal <skasal@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello Gabor,
>
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 02:24:47PM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:
>> > 10 min someone from Fedora, hello Fedora people. Is there going
>> >    to be someone from the Perl team on FOSDEM?
>
> unfortunately, neither Marcela nor I can come.
>
> I hoped to discuss with you recent changes in Fedora perl in rawhide,
> when we rearranged the paths in @INC array:
>
> 1)  they are much shorter and more FHS-conformant, inspired by debian;
> 2)  we are trying to have privlib=vendorlib and archlib=vendorarch, all
>    these modules are rpm-managed anyway
>
> We noticed recently that point 2) somehow conflicts with
> Module::Install and we have yet to resolve it.
>
> While we are busy with this, I'd realy enjoy some brainstroming
> around these ideas.  But *because* we are so busy, we cannot afford
> spend time going to FOSDEM.
>
> Another theme for brainstorming would be about libperl.so.
> Traditionally, it is burried deep in the perl tree, while from the
> packaging view, it would be much nicer if it lived in the standard
> libdir, /usr/lib{,64}, with the version number being part of the
> soname.  That change wouldn't mean anything for packaging CPAN
> modules, but would help with packages that link against libperl
> (i.e., contain embedded perl): these packages could than make use of
> automaticaly generated dependencies for dynamic libraries.
>
> As you can see, I'm more on the packaging bank than the Perl one, but
> I think I can also contribute to building the bridge from that side.
>
> Anyway, I have to skip this opprtunity for non-virtual meeting, but
> I'll be happy to read the proceedings/blog entries that come out of
> the event.
>
> Enjoy FOSDEM,
>        Stepan Kasal

Hi Stepan,

I am sorry that neither of you can make it to FOSDEM. I hope
you will be able to attend one or more of the Perl events where
you can meet some of the people who understand more about this
than I do. See the list of European Perl events here:

http://www.yapceurope.org/

Specifically I don't know much about the @INC and search order.
I think the best would be to talk about this on the p5p mailing list or
on the #p5p IRC channel in irc.perl.org

I know even less about libperl.so so that too should be discussed on p5p.
http://lists.perl.org/list/perl5-porters.html

regards
   Gabor