Re: Perl (and other) packaging talk on FOSDEM

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:45:38 +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> On FOSDEM in Brussels on 6-7 February 2010 there are going
> to be two rooms for cross-distro talks.
> I suggested on the FOSDEM mailing list to have a set of talks to
> show/discuss how Perl and CPAN modules are being packaged by
> the various distros.

And the talk is accepted in the meantime - thanks for taking this
initiative!

http://fosdem.org/2010/schedule/events/dist_perl_cpan

> I'd be happy to give a talk about how CPAN modules are being developed,
> how maintainership works, why do perl developers suggest installation via
> CPAN.pm instead of apt-get or yum but I'd like to see if there are going to
> be people from the respective Perl groups and if they are ready to
> give talks on the subjects outlined above?

It's too late anyway but I think several talks on the same subject
would have been a bit too much.
But having one session for looking at the topic from various points
of view sounds really interesting!

> Any of you is planning to attend FOSDEM?

Yup, and I know that Tincho will be there too (and from older mails
Xavier and Jeremiah also expressed their interest).

> Can we try to organize a little session on Perl/CPAN packaging?
> [..] we can have
> a nice session and might even make some improvements to our processes
> and to our interaction.

Sure, and (despite the bad timing for your talk :)) I'm happy to
share my experiences from the Debian Perl Group.

> ps. BTW I'd be also happy to cooperate on the subject of "testing".
> If we could get 1-1 people from each distro explaining how they do testings
> I'd be glad to explain how it is done in Perl/CPAN but this is a separate story.

If you mean "testing" in the context of packaging Perl modules for
Linux dists there are a few aspects that should fit into this session
quite good :)

 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06
   `-    NP: Ben Weaver: Vapor