Re: request for membership

Le mercredi 20 mai 2009 à 08:13 +0200, Jeremiah Foster a écrit :
> On May 20, 2009, at 2:40, Carlos Arenas Cordoba wrote:
>
> > hello, world!
>
> Hello Carlos!
>
> > i have been a debian user since woody and am starting to give back
> > after all
> > those years of just gimme-gimme-gimme.
>
> w00t!
>
> > i'd like to join the pkg-perl group in order to package modules, but
> > am open
> > to helping out in other ways -- i make an AWESOME mentee :)
> >
> > my current perl interest is jifty (am developing an app for $work
> > which i hope
> > to open source).
>
> I think that might be good, I am not sure of the state of jifty in
> debian so it might need some love. My understanding is that Jesse
> Vincent and company feel that Catalyst "won" and have not been
> developing jifty as much, but that came from Matt Trout and he may
> have a personal bias. :P

Some news about jifty.

debian:
As said Ryan52 on IRC. I'm waiting the update of libapp-cli-perl from
waldi. I send a mail to him and the list one month ago, open a bug few
weeks ago. Ryan tried to catch him on IRC. Maybe it's time to make a
NMU ?

Catalyst:
There's no fight between Catalyst and Jifty. A short resume can be :
Catalyst is fine for huge application than Jifty aims to provide lot of
pre-build modules and must be better for write quickly, some short
application. I already talked about that with Matt ;)
My advise is : now, if you want to use existing DB, use Catalyst, if you
want a new DB consider using Jifty.

Now jifty start to become really stable and it's used in Request Tracker
4.0, so don't worry for its futur. Packaging RT4.0 will be easy.

I think there will be more work for debain packager with jifty plugins
in few weeks.

Cheers

> > am looking forward to getting involved with the group's work.
>
> I will point you to the relevant docs, which are here: http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/
>
> Sign up for an account on alioth if you want read / write access to
> the debian-perl svn repo, where most of the work happens.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Jeremiah

AGOSTINI Yves             CRI - Université Paul Verlaine - Metz
agostini@univ-metz.fr     http://www.crium.univ-metz.fr
tel: 03 87 31 52 63       fax: 03 87 31 53 33     PGP: 842CC261