Re: Array::Diff - POD fixes, copyright issues

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:45:52AM +0900, Daisuke Murase (typester) wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for writing and maintaining the Array::Diff module!
> >
> > I'm trying to create a Debian Linux package for Array::Diff, and
> > unfortunately I've hit a couple of problems.  In the current version
> > of the Array-Diff-0.05 distribution, there is no clear copyright
> > statement listing authors and copyright years :)  Of course, there
> > is your name and address in the "AUTHOR" POD section, but legally,
> > this is not enough; and then there is the "COPYRIGHT" POD section,
> > but it only contains *license* information, no copyright statement
> > at all :)
> >
> > Would it be possible for you to, say, rename this section to
> > "COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE", as seems to be customary for Perl modules,
> > and add a "Copyright (C)" line listing the authors (that would be you)
> > and the years in which the module has been changed?  It would be best
> > to also add a copyright line to the distribution's README file so that
> > it is clear that all files in the distribution are covered by it.

[snip my perldoc improvement suggestions]

> Hi Peter,
>
> I applied a your patch and uploaded as new version to CPAN right now.
> It's available soon at http://search.cpan.org/dist/Array-Diff-0.05001/
>
> Thank you for your patch!

Thanks a lot for including the perldoc changes! :)
I've already integrated your 0.05001 release in the Debian Perl Group's
Subversion repository.

However, the main problem still remains - did you take a look at
my explanations about the license and copyright? :)  See the part of
my original message that I quoted above - the Array-Diff distribution
has no clear copyright statement, and this makes it not-quite-suitable
for inclusion in most OS distributions out there :/

As explained above, it would be enough if you added a sentence either
to the "COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE" section of Diff.pm, or to the README
file itself - just one sentence containing the word "Copyright",
your name, and one or more years would be enough :)

Once again, thanks for taking the time to address our concerns!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@space.bg    roam@FreeBSD.org
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on