Re: debconf russian man page

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

> The debian perl packaging allows modules included in perl itself to be
> overridden with newer versions packaged separately. So we just need to
> get a package of the updated versions of Pod::Man and Pod::Text, which
> debconf can then (temporarily) build-depend on. Hmm, looks like an
> updated pod2man would also need to be included, perhaps under a
> different name than the regular one?
>
> Perhaps the pkg-perl team can help put such a package together?

I was hoping (as upstream maintainer) that the newer version could get
into lenny as part of perl-modules.  Perl IMO really needs another upload
before lenny; there's also the incredibly annoying warning bug that
affects anyone using Net::Domain.

Failing that, we could maintain a separate package.  There are two scripts
provided, pod2man and pod2text, in addition to the modules.  I don't know
if a podlators package should divert the scripts from perl or do something
else with them.  Do we have any precedents?  Unfortunately, pod2man does
need to be updated to accept the new -u option; pod2text doesn't have at
present any changes except (in 2.1.2) spelling fixes in the man page.