Re: Orphaned Perl Packages

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:06:46AM +0200, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:49:36PM +0200, Sandro Tosi wrote:
>> >as suggested by gregoa on #debian-perl, I'm attaching a list of
>> >orphaned packages that build-depends on perl,
>>
>> >swedish
>>
>> This one has only little relation to Perl - but happens to almost
>> identical to dsdo that I maintain already (danish and swedish
>> dictionaries are developed together upstream), and I even agreed with
>> the former maintainer of swedish to take over maintainance, just
>> forgot about it.
>
>I have been working on that, getting it into shape. You may want to
>look a the conversation on mentors.d.o to see some of the concerns
>people have about swedish and what they are looking for to get it into
>debian.

I consider mentors.d.o as a place for discussions concerning mentoring,
not for tracking problems with packages themselves.

Please file bugreports about bugs and wishlist items for the package -
or encourage others to do it directly, instead of you acting as a proxy
for them.  Even a bugreport only containing a reference to some specific
thread at mentors.d.o is helpful.

>I also set up an alioth page for swedish so that I could have some help
>with it. http://swedish.alioth.debian.org/

I also once created Alioth groups for each package I maintained. Alioth
admins stopped me after a little while (I maintain quite a few
packages!), and I have since changed tactics to initially use the shared
collab-maint group - with the _potential_ for later forming an own
Alioth groups if enough people team up with me that we need mailinglist
and other infrastructure for some specific subset of packages...

In other words, I recommend against using an own Alioth group until some
group activities have actually emerged, as you might end up with the
opposite result than intended: Sit in that lonely room all by yourself,
virtually hiding from the crowd of potential helping hands.

Perhaps you'd have more luck forming a "speling" group (if such a group
doesn't exist already).  Please invite me to such group :-)

But that's just me.  When that is said, I sincerely wish you good luck
with your package, and however you choose to maintain it!

>> In other words: I'll grab that one!
>
>While I live in sweden, I am not a native speaker and I think it is
>better that a native Nordic citizen take it over. So feel free to
>scoop it up, but maybe use the alioth page so I can help out.

As I wrote (in a later email than quoted above), I have no interest when
the format is far from what I have spent much time on already with the
danish DSDO sources.

To be honest, the swedish sources look like a total mess to me!

If you want help maintaining swedish, or if you hand it over and imagine
they might be interested in help, then feel free to get hold of me
regarding more concrete issues.  And generally, feel free to look at the
dsdo package - no use currently, but recent upstream source linked from
dsso.se - http://hem.bredband.net/dsso1/dsso-1.28.txt - seems like it
might be possible to fit into same framework as used for the danish one.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

- --