Re: Packaging Apache OpenOffice

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:33:38PM +0800, imacat wrote:
>     That's problems we have to solve.

I am interested how. Those package names are mandated by Debian policy
and not changable.

> >> Apache OpenOffice in the foreseeable future.  And I believe many people
> >> are, too.  I do not hate LibreOffice, live with the LibreOffice, and I
> >> work with our local LibreOffice community, too.  The current team of
> >> Apache OpenOffice is unrelated to Oracle anymore.  If you personally
> >> hate Oracle or something, its none of the our or Debian users' business.
> > I know. But it's still history.
>
>     You still did not explain your hatred to us.  Please do not make
> excuse for that.

I don't have "hatred". Not to Apache.

There's just the technical problems here, beside that the archive then would
have two of this size, thus having double loads on it and the buildds.
Especially on the slow archs, and you have *any* chance to get into a debian
release you would ned to keep all architectures, as this isn't a new package
but a continuation and openoffice.org built on

 openoffice.org | 1:3.2.1-11+squeeze4         | squeeze          | source, amd64, armel, i386, ia64, kfreebsd-amd64, kfreebsd-i386, mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390, sparc

And security needs to support both, I don't think that they would want to
do that either.

But in the meanwhile I saw the originating thread on the apache side
which consists also of simple lies...

Regards,

Rene