Re: Setting global custom OOo registry options - possible?

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org> wrote:
>> I'm hoping that the debian openoffice packages implement something
>> similar to iceweasel for example - I can dump a <file>.js with iw
>> about:config keys into /etc/iceweasel/pref/ which will be pulled into
>> the default user profile on creation.
>
> AFAIK you should also be able to do that if you put it into the registry, too
> - unfortunately it is in /usr/lib, so assuming you change a file it'll
> be overwritten on the next upgrade sice ...

That may have to be my worst case fallback, the nice(?) thing about a
live only environment is that I can abuse stuff like that with various
postinst scripts in the chroot, or even in the init sequence.

>> Is there any mechanism I can make use of here to tweak specific keys?
>
> I'd personally create a "extension" with the config, see
> the openoffice.org-ctl-he package for an example. No complete oxt-extension
> but enough to change config.

Ok - great idea, I have a colleague who is at least mildly familiar
with working with extensions, and it won't hurt me to learn either.

> Grüße/Regards,
>
> René

Thanks for the prompt reply - and even moreso for the work you put
into openoffice in debian. Looking through this mailing list makes it
clear you do not have an easy job, nor any help. The company I work
for has been using debian OOo for about 4-5 years in production now,
you've done an extraordinary job. We've also found various
enhancements (as compared to the equivalent windows release) which has
encouraged the desktop linux uptake with a few of our users (there was
a calc sorting feature in ~v2.1 I recall off the top of my head).

In short, a sincere thank you for the excellent work you do.

Regards,
Bernie