Re: please test openoffice.org with icu 4.0 from experimental

Hi,

Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> Hello openoffice maintainers.  I have recently uploaded ICU 4.0 into
> experimental and would be grateful if you could test to make sure
> openoffice.org works with it.  There had been a patch applied to ICU

Seen. Will check when beta2 is finished (and the new libicu-dev is
available for amd64)

> 3.6 specifically for openoffice.  I was tracking the status of that
> patch upstream (in ICU's bug tracking system) and found that the patch
> had been rejected by ICU.  Studying the situation further, it looks
> like it is no longer needed by openoffice.  I have not tried to

Yes, it's not needed anymore since OOo 2.4.1.

> rebuild openoffice with ICU 4.0 myself and would appreciate it if
> someone could test this out before ICU 4.0 goes into unstable.
>
> Reintroducing this patch would create a binary incompatibility, so I
> very much hope to avoid doing so.  However, if I do, I definitely
> wouldn't want to do so after ICU 4.0 went into unstable.
>
> At this point, I am not expecting an ICU transition before the release
> of lenny, but if I get word that openoffice.org works with ICU 4.0, I
> may contact the release team to get their opinion.

No, please. OOo 2.4.1 would simply reject it in configure. Could be
patched, but I don't feel to change ICU version that late in the
release cycle anyway..

3.0 snapshots (should) build with icu 4.0 (The changes were done, I am
not yet sure whether they already got integrated, will check and
backport them if necessary)

Note that we're (if you take the official schedule) in library freeze
anyway...

Regards,

Rene