Re: [Dict-common-dev] New Hunspell/MySpell policy for lenny - Discussion / final try

Hi,

Agustin Martin wrote:
> What the Ice/Moz people intend for the future? If every myspell app is
> moving to hunspell, I would avoid the intermediate /usr/share/myspell step
> and move every myspell dict to /usr/share/hunspell once this happens, unless
> there is already a real hunspell dict available, where myspell dict package
> should just be removed. In the meantime conflicts and symlinks are OK.

Apparently there's a patch in Moz's bugzilla for Myspell support.
and there's patches for Iceape and Iceweasel already in  the BTS
(the Ice* people are going to apply them once Hunspell has a shared lib)

When anything using MySpell migrated to Hunspell we can get without
/usr/share/myspell, yes.

> > Question: Should Hunspell dicts and MySpell dicts for the same language
> > still conflict? Or should there only be a symlink from the hunspell to
> > the myspell directory if there only is myspell dictionary available?
>
> This depends. If myspell and hunspell dicts are to coexist in different
> places because there are apps that require one of them, and that is not to
> vanish in a reasonably near future, we can either make them conflict

... which is what we currently do ...

> or plan a symlink based stuff at e.g. /var/lib/hunspell pointing to
> /usr/share/hunspell dicts or, if unavailable for that language, to
> the equivalent /usr/share/myspell dict.  hunspell should look for dicts
> there.

Hmm, yes, that could be solution.

> But we again need to know if there will be a need for standalone myspell
> dict packages.

Yes.
(FWIW, I'd still keep the myspell-* names even if all apps migrated to
hunspell since the dictionaries are myspell dictionaries and not
hunspell ones, and changing all the names of all those is not worth the
hassle anyway)

> > - The OOo info files now get into a new directory
> >   (/usr/share/openoffice/share/dict/ooo maybe which would probably not
> >   need much fiddling in OOo after all (OOo excpects the dicts/)
> >   The info files for OOo should now be installed here; in
> >   /usr/share/openoffice/share/dict/ooo/info or even in ooo itself since
> >   OOo only regognizes what is defined in dictionary.lst).
>
> I would not go that deep for the infos. Since they are Debian only,
> something like /usr/share/ooo/infos should suffice. I am not proposing

Good idea. That would also make it vanish from the "real" dir.
(I'd use /usr/share/openoffice (sic!), though, probably)

Gr??e/Regards,

Ren?
--
 .''`.  Ren? Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73