Re: OpenOffice.org Localized build.

Le mardi 24 janvier 2006 à 16:51 +0530, priti Patil a écrit :
> Hi Jérôme,
>
> Thanks for quick reply.
Please, unless it is confidential, really personal, or wouldn't care to
anybody else, try to answer to the mailing-list.
Thanks

> On 1/24/06, Jérôme Warnier <jwarnier@beeznest.net> wrote:
>         Le mardi 24 janvier 2006 à 11:32 +0530, priti Patil a écrit :
>         > Hi list,
>         >
>         > How one should decide on what debian distribution (sid,
>         stable,
>         > unstable etc) should be used for building OpenOffice.org
>         source ? So
>         > that minimum or no issue should come across at all.
>         Official Debian packages are always meant to be built on
>         Unstable.
>         Later, they migrate to Testing, and once in a while, Testing
>         becomes
>         Stable.
>
> Yes, that's true.
>

>         There is an exception, though: security updates, which are
>         built to fix
>         a bug in Stable, but in the same time, they are meant to be as
>         close to
>         the original package as possible.
>
> Not clear.
The security updates in Debian Stable are the original packages modified
as few as possible to fix the issue.

>         Of course, you could consider that a package already in
>         Testing or
>         Stable is meant to be built on it (as it is there, there is
>         probably
>         great chances that it also builds).
>
> I've downloaded source code of OpenOffice.org 2.0 from it's downloads
> area.
What are you trying to achieve exactly?
Do you want custom Debian packages or what?

>         And backports are (most of the time) special packages modified
>         from
>         Unstable only to build cleanly on Stable. They are not
>         official in any
>         way, though.
>
> Hmm...then what is the significance of such packages?
To depend on as few packages not present in Stable as possible.

>         Hope it helped.
>
> Sorry to say, no.
Hope we'll get somewhere soon, then.