Re: package group "body useful without the head"?

Hi,

Dan Jacobson wrote:
> Odd, what use is having these,
> # dpkg -l|perl -awlne 'print $F[1] if /openoff/'
> openoffice.org-base
> openoffice.org-calc
> openoffice.org-common
> openoffice.org-core
> openoffice.org-draw
> openoffice.org-impress
> openoffice.org-java-common
> openoffice.org-l10n-en-us
> openoffice.org-l10n-zh-tw
> openoffice.org-math
> if one still needs to do
> # apt-get install openoffice.org
> to get openoffice.org-writer etc. to make a usable setup?
> Shouldn't dependencies be tightened up, or is my installed set above
> useful?

Your set above is useful. You have Calc, Base, Draw and Impress. Not
Writer. You've choosen that (or you didn't get -writer installed as we
had the c2a-transition and -writer needed to get rebuilt against libwpd8c2a).
That's the whole point of it. You can install each module without
needing the other ones if you don't want/need them. (except for Impress,
which needs Draw, but that still leaves Writer, Base, Calc etc.
optional). If there's some module not working because it e.g. needs a
lib from another lib (and I mean not working, not not having some
feature) then it is a bug...

"openoffice.org" is a metapackage depending on every module for people
who either want to install every module or simply don't care and want
just OOo.

Regards,

Rene