Cannot insert mailmerge database field "next record"

I have tried both the Sarge and Sid versions of OOo.

I cannot correctly insert a new record with Insert -> Fields -> Other -> Database -> Next record. The dialog box does not give me access to a field - only its parent OOo spreadsheet. The resulting inserted field looks like this:

   Next record:Ticket numbers.Sheet1

Subsequent inserted record fields in the same document do not print. On documents produced with older versions of OOo, the "Next record" field looks like this:

   Next record:Ticket numbers.Sheet1.text

where "text" is the field name of the data to insert. I cannot find a reference to this problem in the list or Debian bugs or the OOo website. Am I doing something wrong? OOo help says " The records that you want to include must be selected in the data source view." I clicked on the column heading "text" and all the column data below was highlighted before I inserted "Next record". I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards,

Chris Lale
chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk