Re: ooo1.9-nojava packages

[I'm CCing to debian-openoffice in case anyone else is interested]

Hi Matt,

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 10:58 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> I was just googling around & noticed your ooo1.9 packages at
> http://people.debian.org/~halls/openoffice/test/ooo1.9-nojava/
>
> are these packages intended for testing or just for internal use?

I put them up there in case anyone wanted to look at the current state
of the packaging.  They are the packages generated by the internal
packaging scripts built into 2.0 (the so-called native installer).  They
are the no java variant because the with java variant does not work at
all for me yet (IZ#36966).  They are built from the nojava1 branch,
which has been integrated into the main line for m62, due out around the
end of this week.

> Do they require 2.6+ kernels to work (as the titles indicate)?

I don't think so; I haven't investigated why the installer people
decided to put 2.6 in the name but I don't know of a reason why they
should be 2.6 only.

>   and
> finally, did I see a python.diff somewhere in there?  Do these new
> packages work with system python now?

No, there are no diffs at all - these packages are built from plain
upstream CVS, and AFAIR pyuno is broken anyway in the 2.0 branch
currently.

> If they are in a usable or mostly-usable state I would love to try
> them out.

I did find a problem with some missing libraries so I'm uploading fixed
packages now.  I found they worked to a certain extent but I haven't
used them in earnest yet.  The packaging is very rough - there are no
scripts in /usr/bin and everything is under /opt/openoffice, but they do
start at least.  Oh, and there is no automatic dependency generation
with the native installer so you may find problems there too.  So I'd
classify them as mostly-usable.