Re: Test Java plugin for sid packages available for download

Seen in the debian-openoffice archive your post of Jul 19, 2004 :

> Hi folks,

> For those who are brave - or desperate - enough to want to try out OOo
> with Java support enabled, here's a package that you can install:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~halls/openoffice/test/openoffice.org-java_1.1.2-2+java_i386.deb
>
> Download the package and install alongside your exisiting OOo package
> using
> 'dpkg -i openoffice.org-java_1.1.2-2+java_i386.deb'.

Well, I'm not *that* brave, but I'm getting desperate enough to give it a try (it seems that some databases can be realistically used only through JDBC. Furthermore, learning openoffice.org API with Sun's tutorials seem to require to walk through Java. (Surprise...)). I looked at the place mentioned in your post and didn't see anything new. Do you plan to create newer .debs in sync with sid's package ?

For a longer-term view : until free JVMs and J2SDKs do big progress, Java availability cannot be a standard feature of a set of openoffice.org packages in main. So I see two workarounds :

1) (poor) have a set of Java-enabled openoffice.org-* packages in non-free (or in contrib, depending of the DFSG interpretation of your friendly holier-than-thou flamer of the day ...).

2) (better but much harder) : have the Java-free version of openoffice.org *able* to use java extensions, but not requiring it.

Do you have any plans about this problem ?

Sincerely,

					Emmanuel Charpentier

--
Emmanuel Charpentier			Tel : +33-(0)1 40 27 35 98
Secrétariat Scientifique du CEDIT	Fax : +33-(0)1 40 27 55 65