Re: Add hyph_fi_FI into Debian OOo build system?

Hi,

Jarno Elonen wrote:
> > [Question at fennic-spellchecker@linux-aktivaattori.org:]
> >
> > Jarno Elonen previously converted the Finnish hyphenator from LaTeX
> > (according to a README on the OpenOffice website), but I cannot find any
> > package.  Jarno, can you please clarify whatever happened to that
> > hyphenator?
>
> As Openoffice.org (the site) now includes it, I assume the Debian OOo team
> will soon incorporate the hyph_fi_FI dictionary in their build system --
> which is far better than someone maintaining a separate "renegade" package.
>
> Could someone at debian-openoffice confirm this?

Either way won't work since is looks like as there are license
problems:

README_hyph_fi_FI.txt states that the original copyright was

- --- snip ---
Here are the acknowledgements from the original pattern
file:

  First release January -86 by Kauko Saarinen,
  Computing Centre, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland

  Completely rewritten January -88. The new patterns make
  much less mistakes with foreign and compound words.
  The article "Automatic Hyphenation of Finnish"
  by Professor Fred Karlsson is also referred

  8th March -89 (vers. 2.2), some vowel triples by Fred Karlsson added.
  9th January - 95: added \uccode and \lccode by Thomas Esser

  Patterns may be freely distributed
- --- snip ---

As you should know this is non-free since it does not allow modifications
and so on.

So when you stricly follow this "license" you were not allowed to create
a derivative work of it and even if you were the original license is
non-free. You moreover did not specify what your work is licenses under
(only possible when you actually were allowed to change it and then it
depends what the license says for redistribution of derivative works)

This dictionary is therefore unredistributable.

Many TeX/hyph_* stuff has this problem (many even have a license which
got put into LGPL regardless and some have non-free licenses etc. I ma
still trying to sort those various types out and get an overview....)

This is exactly the problem why a altlinuxhyph-patterns packages is long
overdue...

Grüße/Regards,

René
- --
 .''`.  René Engelhard -- Debian GNU/Linux Developer
 `. `'  rene@debian.org | GnuPG-Key ID: 248AEB73
   `-   Fingerprint: 41FA F208 28D4 7CA5 19BB  7AD9 F859 90B0 248A EB73