java support

Dear experts,
   as claimed in README.Debian.gz, the non-free components have been
removed. This concerns also java, as a consequence there is in the file
/etc/openoffice/autoresponse.conf (OpenOffice 1.1.0 from sarge):
[JAVA]
JavaSupport=none

I have the Java RE installed on my system, so please could you tell me how
can I enable the Java support ? I naively tried
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_02/lib/i386:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
but it didn't work, I guess due to the above mentioned settings. What are
the names of the Java RE variables that need to be set up ? And in which
startup file ?

Thanks a lot for any hint,

best regards

           Tomas