Menu font problem

Hi,

I'm having a problem I can't fix.  I'm running Sid, Openoffice 1.1.0-6
(with Debian-files 1.1.0-6+2), Xfree 4.3.0-2, libfreetype6 2.1.7-2.  The
menu font is unreadable (screenshot attached) as a normal user - it
works fine logged in as root.  I've searched everywhere and read the
Debian.readme about the menu fonts.  From the screenshot, I am trying to
change the font as described in the readme.  I have another Sid system,
and it's not having this problem as a normal user, so I mirrored
keystrokes on the working computer to change the menu font from the
Andale Sans UI.  An error comes up as seen in the screenshot, but I
can't read it because the font is too small (nice catch 22), and the
program exits.  With my other Sid system working, I don't think this is
an openoffice bug, but it's the only program not working correctly so
I'm asking here.

Thanks,
Kevin