Re: Report from OpenOffice team at debcamp/conf

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:09:09AM +0200, Jan Schulz wrote:
> Some comments:
> [after apt-get install ooo]
> jan@snoopy:~$ openoffice
> OpenOffice.org for Debian - see
> /usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian.gz
> Previous version found: OpenOffice.org 1.0.3
> /home/jan/.openoffice/1.1
> Setup complete.  Running openoffice.org...
> .. importing layer file:///tmp/oooLocale.XXXXLPBNtP - succeeded
> /usr/bin/openoffice: line 251: /soffice: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
> gefunden

Not sure why you get that.

> I'm not sure if this workspace recovering is nice: I didn't have the
> *de langpacks and so I was asked to start a new workspace. This will
> look really confusing (need to agree to licens, etc), especially if
> you choose 'lokal installation' instead of 'workspace'...

I don't understand this.  I have only tested a 'new' user install so far;
there is a check for a language conflict which I have to remove before
upgrades are possible.

> Would you mind doing a buildpackage with all langpacks?

I just hadn't uploaded the extras yet, but they are there now.

> After installing (no data recovery, had to type everything in),

I said that wasn't ready yet in the original mail

> I went
> to the options menu and started changing. After that I got an error
> about some 'german' files not there (can't reproduce ATM).

> Also the
> "Basic Fonts" in writer were still Thorndale and Andale (or so), which
> are installed on my system, but I think they won't be there on every
> other debian system. Maybe you can change this to some vera fonts.

(Good) patch gladly accepted.  We have limited time and this sort of thing
takes quite a while to do properly.  You could file a wishlist bug if you
don't want this to get forgotten.

> Funnyly, some were already (list, caption, index) changed.

How strange.

> Don't know, but the default Font Substitution (/etc/OOo/*) is set to
> 'Times', which looks really bad compared to bitstream vera fonts
> (just saw that when installing).

I didn't do anything here.

> Anyway: What a speed improvement! Great! Thanks for packaging it!

Cool.  Did you turn prelinking on?