Openoffice starts, but no display

I am running openoffice.org on a system that is basically testing, but
is increasingly populated with unstable.  With the last couple of
voluminous updates, I can no longer use openoffice.  It starts, I get
the logo, and that's as far as it goes.  Using ps -A shows the
processes are operating, but I have nothing else to show for it except
the logo, which remains on top until I kill one or more of the processes.

I have checked the dependencies, which are all right (now -- I updated
libfreetype6, since which I can see the logo).

I'm running KDE 3.1, and that has recently been upgraded -- I suspect
a problem there, but do not know how to begin.

I could use some advice here, please, or at least to see whether
anyone else has experienced this.

TIA

Cam

--