Re: OpenOffice.org new unstable packages available for testing

Chris Halls wrote:

Prerelease packages for OpenOffice.org are now available from the unstable
section of our mirrors (http://www.linux-debian.de/openoffice/mirrors.html).

Please let us know if you have any problems with this version other than the
problems already known in the BTS.

Changelog for this release:

openoffice.org (1.0.1-5.6rc1) unstable; urgency=low

 * fixed Dependencies (closes: #162240)
 * changed Depends: from openoffice.org-l10n-* to openoffice.org
   to Recommends: (closes: #165036)
 * Remove -fno-rtti compiler flag for PPC
 * In debian/rules use dpkg-architecture to set $ARCH.
 * Set maintainer to debian-openoffice mailing list
 * Clean up Build-Dependencies (closes: #162428)
 * Revert back to internal libstlport until after the gcc transition.
   (029_stlport_stolen_from_OO642C, 030_stlport_gcc32_includes)
 * Fix window titles (030_WM_CLASS_property from Mandrake)
 * Remove obsolete patches: 004_zipdep_not_found,
   011_link_against_stlport_gcc_3.1)
 * Revert back to compiling i386 with -mcpu=pentiumpro, since it will make
   OOo run faster on the majority of machines (P5 generation is too
   slow for OOo, but it will still work fine if someone really wants to run
   it).
 * Fix naming of X: s/XWindows/X Window/ (028_fix_x_naming)
 * Remove diversion of bug submissions for subpackages to openoffice.org, now
   that they are no longer unknown to the BTS.
 * Clean up debian/rules a little
 * Include regcomp binary
 * Title of About box is translated now (closes: #162984)
 * Work around dpkg warning 'i386-none not found in mapping table'
 * Debian specific files (man pages, wrapper script, ...) split out
   to separate source package (openoffice.org-debian-files)
 * Add patch from Mandrake to fallback to English help if translated help is
   not available, thanks to Gwenole Beauchesne.  028_help_fallback_en.diff
   (closes: #156044)
 * Fix problem in clean rule when using pbuilder, thanks to Nicolas Boos
 * Add pre/post-install/rm hooks into openoffice.org-debian-files
 * Improve detection of JDK path

openoffice.org-debian-files (1.0.1-5+6rc1) unstable; urgency=low

 * Initial Release.
 * chamged spadmin to oopadmin in README (thanks to Ken Shaw)
 * New ways to run OOo -- oohelp and oomaster
 * Support $LC_ALL for user interface language
 * update README.Debian with more information about common problems,
   including the msttcorefonts upgrade, user interface problems and
   common reasons that OOo crashes (closes: #163407)
 * Update TODO
 * The Wrapper script and manpage now mentions README.Debian
 * added README.japanese which describes how to use japanese fonts
   (thanks to Masatoshi Iwasaki)

If no problems are found with these packages we will upload to unstable.

Thanks,
Chris Halls
Debian OpenOffice.org team
Any plans to backport to Woody?
This version brings a lot of bug corrections that affect also Woody.
I now have machines with enough disk space and power to compile it myself, but this version is not "buildable" as such.

I'm trying to do it myself, but I run into some (small) problems:
- why is a newer debhelper version needed? (is it really needed?)
- do we really have to backport g++-3.2 to Woody, or is there another solution?

Thanks, and good work